San Francisco Forest Alliance is a 501(c)4 not-for-profit organization with a mission of inclusive environmentalism. We fight to protect our environment through outreach and providing information. We oppose the unnecessary destruction of trees, oppose the use of toxic herbicides in parks and public lands, and support public access to our parks and conservation of our tree canopy. We stand for transparency in the use of public funds.
To see our latest post on our BLOG, CLICK HERE.
The organization was founded to fight the disastrous Significant Natural Areas Resource Management Plan (“Sin Ramp”). Despite over a decade of opposition, the Plan was finally pushed through and is being implemented.
Here’s why we opposed it:
San Francisco’s “Natural” Resources Department (NRD) is spending millions of our tax dollars to:
- Fell trees: Some 18,500 trees are being cut. (For more details about where, CLICK HERE.)
- Block trails and access: Around 10 miles of trails are being closed or “relocated”; dog-play areas may be closed down; public access to park features will be blocked or restricted. (CLICK HERE for more details of what and where.)
- Apply toxic pesticides: The Natural Resources Department uses more Tier I (most hazardous) herbicides than any comparable park area. For more information about NAP’s pesticide use, CLICK HERE. For information about the chemicals they use, CLICK HERE.
(The rebranded “Natural Resources Department was formerly known as “Natural Areas Program” or NAP, and since the change is recent, this website will often refer to NAP. For more details on NAP’s plans, CLICK HERE.)
If you are a neighbor, parent, hiker, runner, outdoor enthusiast, dog walker, or environmentalist, please help keep our parks natural and accessible for all to enjoy!
HOW CAN I HELP?
Sign our ONGOING online petition! Forward it to your friends!
Six other important ways you can help:
- Subscribe to this site to keep updated (click on the Keep Me Informed button, top right).
- “Like” our Facebook page – follow us on Twitter – follow us on Instagram
- Write letters to your Supervisor, the Mayor, Recreation and Park Department, & Recreation and Park Commission.
- Spread the word! Encourage your friends and neighbors to sign our petition online!
- Write or email us, help build our “critical mass” of supporters. Tell us what you think, give us your ideas. Our email is SFForestNews at gmail.com
- Donate to SFFA. You can send a check to SF Forest Alliance, and mail it to SFFA, P.O.Box 460668, SF, CA 94146 or click on the button below to donate via our Paypal account (Note: you do not need a PayPal account to make your donation):
(Donations are not tax-deductible. Why?)